18 Feb 2004

Was going home on the train last night. It was an absolutely crowded carriage, and everyone was hot and sweaty and bothered because – surprise, surprise – we got one of the un-air-conditioned ones. And this is after our normal train was delayed, then delayed even more, then cancelled altogether so we had about three trips worth of people squished into one train. Now that wouldn’t be so bad if it was during the easy day when there’s hardly anyone going on the trains, but keep in mind that it was the after-school peak hour. And we’re all royally pissed.

So we’re rolling along (ka-thunk, ka-thunk) and it stops at the next station. This is a station where all the guys from the local state school get on (and the girls … but I’m only interested in the guys as you may have already figured out – although Angelina Jolie is a whole different ballgame for EVERYONE but we won’t get into that right now). I always keep a lookout for any of the hot guys who occasionally get on this at this station, (there’s this one who works at my supermarket – but I’m pretty sure he’s already got a girlfriend – bugger) so any bets what I was doing …

Seeing none, I return to my conversation with J (who I suspect knows exactly what I have been doing – and would probably do so herself…). It’s hot and stuffy and not a great conversation-inducer so I end up looking out the window at the road I’ve seen a thousand times before. Which led my eye to lazily survey the standing travellers (suckers) of the rolling beast and gloat over the fact that I got a seat and they didn’t. Then I see this guy’s arm dangling from one of those leather straps they put near the ceiling to hold on to when the vehicle careens to a jerky stop, and it’s ringed with shag bands (geeze we catch on slow down here) and hair ties. One of which is pink. And I’m thinking hmmm, a guy with pink hair ties around his wrist, that’s a bit worrying…

Suddenly the girl standing in front of him obscuring him leans over to talk with her friend and I’m presented with a full-on view of his face. Holy shit it’s Mark from primary school! Which makes it even more disturbing because he so was not the kind to wear pink bracelets way back when. And the haircut! It’s the angel hair, the haircut that half the guys I see these days are sporting. The angel hair, with the messy fringe and long curling wisps floating around the nape of the neck. I find it really ironic because it is such a girly haircut and then all the guys who would balk at seeming girly in any way all have it because everyone else is. (SHEEP!!!) To their credit though, it does look good. Take Matchbox Twenty’s Rob Thomas – arrrrrr…

Why do all the guys I used to know have to be so hot?

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?