10 Aug 2004

I have truly begun to appreciate the artistic genius of Darren Hayes.

Witness example one: “I’m willing to sleep my way to the top, I wanna be POP!… pular…”

Okay, so maybe I don’t PERSONALLY want to sleep my way to the top (although if pressed I can probably think of a surprising number of our sluttier classmates who would), but so goes the lyrics of the new Darren Hayes song that has been sneakily pervading the charts in the last few weeks. When it first came out I was really surprised at the turn that good old Dazza has taken since the dispersion of Savage Garden. Because the Garden was really good, their early songs had some of the tunes that defined the pop music of the nineties. Well anyway, anyone with half a brain and half a sense of decency would think that the message of the POP!pular song is a little doubtful – so you can’t blame me either for thinking that poor Darren has lost all the artistic integrity he has ever had. But then I’m walking down the corridor just after sixth period and I hear a (very bad) rendition of the song from a girl from one of the many ditz/jock subgroups. And then I think ahhhh… and I realised that the song isn’t purely Darren Hayes warbling earnestly away at his desperation to make it big after all, but an ironically satirical observation on the pop culture society today. And when you have teenage girls singing it in school corridors with all innocence (well, with all the innocence one can still manage to retain while singing about sleeping their way to the top), then you know you have succeeded. Because in this day and age, something like that is just about the most subversive act of rebellion anyone can do.

0Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?